IT Professional Call for Papers: IT in Smart Cities
IEEE Computer Society's IT Professional Magazine seeks article submissions for a special issue on IT in Smart Cities. IT innovation in smart cities will transform urban living, yet this transformation presents research and implementation challenges calling for innovative solutions. This issue of IT Professional will present readers with the trends, issues, novel solutions, applications, and practices that promote IT-driven smart cities. The submission deadline is 1 October 2015.
Why the Smart City Concept is Catching On
More than 20 cities are now participating in the IEEE Smart Cities Initiative, and that number will only go up, predicts Gilles Betis, the initiative’s chair. The program is a global, multidisciplinary effort through which IEEE seeks to help municipalities address the huge demands on land, resources, and services associated with population growth.
[IEEE Xplore] Readings on Smart Cities: Internet of Things (IoT) and Smart Cities
This issue of our Readings on Smart Cities is dedicated to IoT, exploring the concept and its inherent characteristics fostering urban smartification. We start with three articles from the IEEE Xplore digital library, which are followed by related work reported in White Papers produced within the IEEE Smart Cities Initiative.
- [IEEE Xplore] Readings on Smart Cities
- EIT ICT Labs Blog by Roberto Saracco
- The Guardian: Smart Cities
- "Smart Cities" - IEEE Internet Computing Guest Editor's Introduction (IEEE Xplore)
- Standardization: Living in the Smart Cities of the Future: eWork, eMobility and Connection to the Smart Grids (IEEE Standards Insight Blog)
- Smart Cities: A Brave New Digital World (Wired Innovation Insights)
- MIT's Carlo Ratti on Guadalajara's Ciudad Creativa Digital Smart Cities Project (AS/COA)